Print

The 3rd Hussars



3rd KOH was originally formed in 1685 as the Queens Consul's Regiment of Dragons. They won their first battle honour at Dettingen in 1743 where they captured 2 silver kettle drums. Replicas of these are used today on the regimental drum horse.

The regiment played a major role during the Napoleonic wars and earned the reputation as 'the finest Cavalry in the sub continent' when they moved to India in 1837. They served with distinction during the Boer war in South Africa, and they fought in the bloody trenches in France and Flanders during the Great War between 1914-1918. In 1936 the 3rd Hussars was the first cavalry regiment to be equipped with tanks. They served in the original 'Desert Rats' in North Africa and spearheaded the attack on the German Africa Korps at El Alamein in 1942. The Regiment played a key role in breaking the German line and after 4 days of continuous fighting only 4 of the original 51 tanks of the Regiment remained. The Regiment left North Africa in 1943 and fought through Italy in the advanced guard of the allied forces.

After the war, the 3rd Hussars served in Palestine and Germany until amalgamation with the 7th Hussars in 1958.