Print

The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars



The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars were formed from the amalgamation of the 4th Queen's Own Hussars and the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars in Hohne 1958. The first tour as a regiment was in Hohne itself as part of the 7th Armoured Brigade. In 1961 they re-roled as an armoured reconnaissance regiment deploying to Aden for a year of peaceful patroling during which they manned their own flight of aircraft.

The Regiment moved straight from Aden to Malaya in October in 1962 and were Garrisoned in Ipoh, Singapore and Sarawak. The Squadrons rotated through this series of widely dispersed camps, patroling to keep the peace from being broken by Indonesian communist forces, with whom there was some limited fighting. in 1964 the regiment moved back to Wolfenbuttel as the armoured car regiment of the first division for four years. it then returned to England spending a short time in Perham Down then Bovington for two years after which they returned to Paderborn in Germany. In 1974 the regiment went on a short tour to Cyprus to help in the aftermath of the Turkish invasion as part of the United Nations contingent.

In 1979 the regiment moved back to Tidworth for three years during which an independant squadron completed two tours as an armoured recce squadron in Cyprus and a small contingent became ceasefire monitors in Rhodesia.
From 1982 - 1987 the regiment was back in Munster, where it completed a short tour in Ireland in 1983 as the
Maze prison guard force. Two years in Bovington and Catterick followed Munster, then back out to Germany in 1990 where the regiment took part in the Gulf War and liberation of Kuwait, spearheading the 7th Armoured Brigade 100 hour advance. Prior to amalgamation in 1993 the regiment completed another tour of Cyprus as the United Nations.